Here’s a simple and effective TMJ mobilization technique you can teach to your clients and do on yourself. Make sure you maintain good posture during this exercise, as letting the head just forward and rounding the shoulders interferes with the benefits of this wonderful exercise.
1. Place your index finger on your back molar
2. Place your thumb on the underside of our jaw directly below your thumb
3. Start by doing 10 repetitions of small depressions. Small is the key word here. The goal is to mobilize the joint – not do a big range of motion
4. In the next set of 10 repetitions, add a small amount of protraction (protrusion) to the depressions
5. Repeat on the opposite side.
A video is worth a thousand words – watch it! Scroll down to the bottom of the page to subscribe to my blog.